National every 2 years ?

Mike Kurta mkurta@adelphia.net
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 19:18:33 -0400

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 1:22 PM
  Subject: Re: no comp. was Re: Saying "No" (was Convention is focused)

  In a message dated 7/23/02 11:13:32 AM Central Daylight Time, =
mkurta@adelphia.net writes:=20

    Del:=20
       I wonder if the problems you eloquently addressed would be =
diminished by having conventions every other year.  Heresy?  Blasphemy?  =
Maybe not.  It might mean half the effort for the national office and =
those hard working souls who work their volunteer hearts out, and =
possibly more exhibitors, better classes, more attendees, etc.  Should =
we skip a year and give it a try ?  =20
    Absence makes the heart........=20
       Mike Kurta, RPT=20

  Mike=20

  What would this accomplish? Not having the convention every year will =
only benefit those who don't come every year, or less than that. I think =
there are enough people who want to see the convention every year that =
makes having it worth while.=20

  Just my 2 cents worth.=20

  Wim=20

      Wim:
      My thought in bi-annual conventions is that the quality of =
classes, the number of exhibitors and therefore attendance would go up.  =
Members might look forward more to attending if it wasn't an annual =
event, and the slack for others could be taken up by the many good =
regionals around the country.  Perhaps it would be a win-win for both =
national and regionals.  Is there too much of a good thing?  I'm sure =
this goes against the grain with many, but as has been said, conventions =
seem to be a rerun many years.  Yes there is a new crop of technicians =
coming up each year, but there are as many (maybe more) who might stay =
away because,  "Oh, I went last year."   You're probably right however =
in your thought that there are enough people who want to attend =
nationals every year to have it every year.  The social aspect, =
networking, classes, council, new stuff, tools, all of those and more =
keep folks coming back.  However, the attendance at nationals seems to =
have leveled off for some time, but that is likely due to an unchanging =
member census as well.  More ramblings.....
      Mike Kurta =20