Shellac vs. lacquer

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 20:04:14 -0700

At 11:31 PM 7/22/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>>Hey! You have a good time! <glad>
>
>On the program there this Thursday is a two piano version of Ravels' La
>Valse, with the D and an M. (How's that for Mutt & Jeff go Pro
>Wresting.....) The next night on a different stage is Stravinsky's
>Concerto for Two Solo Pianos with a D and a C (no orchestra). I get free
>ice cream and berries at intermission.
>
>Bill Ballard RPT
>NH Chapter, P.T.G.

Hey! You have a REALLY good time!

You get to work on a C? I've only tuned one, 1890's, sort of worn out but
what a gorgeous piano.

On the coast, we often pair the 1970 Baldwin SD-10 with a slightly tired
1941 S&S A. The A is voiced brighter because of (you guessed it!) some
keytop, which I've been trying to restrain ever since. Given a big assist
from its big step-brother with the nice long lid, it manages quite nicely,
to everyone's surprise. It never sounds better than when borrowing resonance.

I'm glad you've enjoyed your little foray into shellac-juice-land. Do let
me know if you try it on another piano.

Susan