Is there any interest? was Re: no comp.

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 15:58:27 -0700

All, (& Del & Wim)
I've reading your discourse regarding the convention(s) and their short
comings and good things. Earlier, when this discussion began, I stated that
Every Year, the convention MAKES a profit. Sometimes more than others, but a
profit, non the less. This money is not being put to good use, but rather is
used for some of the frivolous junk that the Board has in their own agendas.
(If you want specifics, read your annual accounting report, CAREFULLY.
You'll see the "Fat")
I have always maintained that the Instructors should reap the benefits of
the "profit", on an equal basis. This is were the rub is and will continue
until many of us just don't make ourselves available for the "honor" of
teaching. I'm fairly certain that Del is of the same mind. And this is what
he is alluding to. Of course, he is not a caustic or abrasive as yours
truly. He chooses to be a gentleman about this mess. And it is a mess. It
has improved somewhat, but not enough in my opinion. It is MHO that most of
the Board really doesn't care as long as no one is complaining, they will
continue with the policy of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" "let's not
plan for the long haul", kind of thinking.
This subject should be discussed at every Chapter and the Chapters should
direct their respective RVP's to take notice of the problem. Then and only
then will there be anything done to rectify the situation. Or, at least
"Make it Less Bad".
One final thing: The Institute Committee(s) are comprised of fabulous
people, who do a miraculous job, year in and year out. They simply do what
they are told to do, by the Executive Committee. They must stay within the
bounds of those perimeters laid down by the EC. They always are top notch,
in my book. So, in no way am I faulting the Institute Committee for the
problem.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

We must first understand where we've been before we can tell
where we're going. Squares are part of the equation.<G>