Is there any interest? was Re: no comp.

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 23:42:25 -0500

>".......we can't have a few instructors hold the rest of the PTG hostage
>with a demand for getting paid more to teach, when there are other who
>will teach for nothing, or get a small paycheck."
>
>It just struck me as curious how this statement might relate to the
>discussion regarding how much a piano technician should charge. (The
>perennial question - should I raise my rate? Well, how much are you worth?
>And what of the misfits out there that work for peanuts?) I realize it is
>a different situation, but yet there are some parallels here. Perhaps just
>a silly thought.

No, a valid comparison, I think. When "teaching", like "tuning", is judged
on pay scale rather than content, who determines value for the money? How
do you weigh value against cost while you're also weighing availability
against no quantity at all at the same time? When availability alone is the
criteria, average quality nearly always goes down.

Ron N