Hammers with no inner felt.

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 04:16:10 EDT

In a message dated 7/25/2002 9:51:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
yardbird@pop.vermontel.net writes:

             Hi Bill
     I meant to comment on the "work hardening" idea you stated last week.  I
have an idea what you refer to but as I see it all hammers soft or hard have
some work hardening done to them as they develop string marks, compacting
right on and barely under the strike surface. The results are quite different
depending on the hammer.  If I understand you term or concept this is what
this means.
   A piano hammer is an energy storage device. It absorbs energy on impact
with the string. As it begins its contact with the string it
deforms/Compresses the string and then re-releases its energy that was
stored, for that split second, back   into the string. As the string is
deformed it to releasees its stored energy imparted by the initial hammer
blow pushing the hammer away. Basically two springs pushing on each other
rather than a head on collision If this is somewhat clear the next part
should fall into place
  Work hardening and the subsequent development of some kind of molecular
change in the felt beneficial to tone is only possible if the hammer has a
certain amount of stiffness or limited resilience to begin with. With
unlimited resilience (too soft) the hammer no longer works as a nonlinear
felt spring and cannot take advantage of work stiffening/hardening. It is too
linear, unable to get progressively stiffer with increasing levels of energy
applied, it becomes instead more of a damper. Hardeners/stiffeners (lacquers)
must be applied to limit resilience then work hardening can apply.
    For the overly plasticized or (petrified felt) hammer work stiffening
happens at the immediate surface only compacting surface felt seen as the
string grooves which cause a nasty sound we all dislike, but does nothing
else except annoy & assault piano tuners ears. Not much musical dynamics to
be had here.
   However for the hammer with a reasonable amounts of reselience/stiffness,
meaning not too much needling or juicing to get close to desired piano tone,
work hardening is something that happens not only in the string grooves but
deeper underneath and thru out. The felt takes on a set but doesn't freeze
up. Sometimes it shows up visually like the hammers have taken this set,
squashed a bit on the top and out at the shoulders. I've seen this in
Isaac,Ronsen and Stwy hammers.  Primarily though it shows itself in the tone
which is what I your point was Bill. The tonal ripening.   Hmm I like that
Bill
      The more the felts resilience is stolen during pressing the less likely
work hardening has any effect or validity to its tone production qualities.