Understring Felt and Stinging Felt (Braid) ?

Gordon Holley gholley@hi-techhousing.com
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 08:18:38 -0500

Thanks Joe for the advice.  Yes, Danny at G.C. Piano (string maker)
is re-scaling the tenor and treble.  I furnished him with the
speaking lengths in mm on the left string of all of those unisons.
If you wouldn't mind, I have a question which you might be able to
help me with.  The felt or cloth that was used at the bass hitch pins
was 1 3/8" wide and less than 1/8" thick.  It was pushed down over
all of the hitch pins with the loop and the winding portion of the
string laying on the felt.  I ordered understring felt for this
application and what Schaff sent me was 1/4" thick x 1/2" wide.
Should I ignore the application that Starr used with the wide, thin,
felt pushed over the hitch pins, and use this 1/4" x 1/2" felt laying
on the plate in front of the hitch pins?.  Or should I try and get a
new thin, wide, felt or cloth to again use here. Hopefully I've
described this OK.  Thanks Joe.  Regards, Gordon Holley