Recommendations from experience, please

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 21:48:08 -0500

To List: (Dear Franz?)

Putting new hammers in an on-the-cheap rebuild of a 1910 Chickering =
upright. I've tried Schaff hammers in a similar piano--found them in =
need of a haircut and voicing. Also installed a set of Isaacs in a =
Baldwin 6000--found them so quiet you can hardly hear the piano-almost =
like there's a practice felt in the way. If they don't brighten up with =
some playing time I guess they need juicing (?).

What do you folks like? I just don't have much experience in this area.

Also, what do you like in hammers for a baby grand? Something light? =
(Has the pearl shaped knuckles.)

Thanks,
Alan Barnard
Salem, MO