Echo ...Seriously, really (sorry)

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 23:14:57 -0500

> > I'd have probably had to talk to the architect at
> > some time during the project,
>
>The School where my former wife teaches built a new music building with
>two choir rooms and a super nice band room.  There is not one single 90
>degree surface in the room.  The walls are tilted off vertical and the
>ceiling is not horizontal and the walls are set at acute or obtuse
>angles to each other.  The acoustics are wonderful and the angles are
>only noticeable if you look for them or when drunk.  It is upsetting
>when the floor tiles get narrower and narrower and narrower and  ...
>hic.
>
>The teachers love them.
>
>Have a fantastic weak all, and don't let the echoes catch you. :)
>
>                 Newton

It can be made to work, glass, marble floors and all, and it's wonderful
when it does. It just too often doesn't, and isn't. Unfortunately, the
architectural control committee can't hear the echoes on the color
elevations when they're making up the wish list. Where's the acoustics
module for the virtual reality walk-through? That should be about doable in
software by now. A sort of ray tracing system for sound, with echo timing
added, so the architects that don't want to or haven't learned to design
aurally can still produce an acceptable and appropriate acoustic response
with their design. You know - at least do no harm.

Ron N