Another heater bar without a control...

BSHARPTUNE@AOL.COM BSHARPTUNE@AOL.COM
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 00:35:45 EDT

Matt, I'm a taker.   I am the piano tech for Western KY University.  It has
78 pianos.   Talk to any University/College pianotech, and see if their
greatest dread is tuning those pianos that have been locked up in class rooms
with no climate control all summer.   Before the DC installations, these
pianos would average 25c sharp from the high humidity (at least here in the
South).   Many of the pianos were suffering damage (the details of which I
can give you if you are interested) until the DC systems were installed.
They made an amazing difference in the stability of these pianos.   I'm
tuning these pianos now and they are +/- 5c from A440.  I have installed
many, many of these systems with first hand observation of the difference
they have made in my customer's pianos.

As far as your question who endorses them, write to DC for one of their
booklets.  You will see endorsers such as Steinway, Baldwin, Yamaha, Kawai,
Young Chang, etc.   It might be plausible to think that these manufacturers
have done their own testing of this system before they lent any credibility
to it.

Another thing that is simply common sense to think about is "What percentage
of a piano is actually wood?", and "How does wood react to changes in
humidity?"  Find out why: (if you don't already know) soundboards develop
splits?; bridge caps split?; tuning pins become loose?, and your conclusion
may lead you to something that can control these things.

For your customers that have a bar without a humidistat, suggest the benefit
of installing one.  If the price is too high for them, suggest that they go
to Radio Shack,  and at least buy a hygrometer, sit it on their piano, and
monitor that the humidity it does not fall below 42% for more than a couple
of consecutive days.  If it does, this is when they unplug it.   Just the
inverse if the humidity rises.

Devlon
Western Ky Univ.