CA gluing Grand pinblocks & Uprights My take on it

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 11:09:29 EDT

> Joe wrote:
>> On a final note, I personally do not like CA glue for anything other
>> than temporary repair, because I know that it will fail, eventually.
Newton asks:

>Upon what data or experience do you base that statement?

  I used a bottle of CA on several projects several years ago.  A plastic
clock on the wall, a wooden ruler, a pencil holder cup, etc.   About a year
ago, the clock fell off the wall. A week later, the handle came off the cup,
and about two or three weeks after that,  the ruler broke.
  I don't think CA is all that long term, but what I have seen in blocks is
great.  I also think that the increased torque in a pinblock comes from
increasing the surface area between the pin and the wood more than "swelling"
the wood.
Regards,
Ed Foote