CA gluing Grand Pinblocks.......My take on it

Tue, 30 Jul 2002 23:25:55 +0200

Hey there Joe :)

I tend to agree with you in general, but it might be fair to
point out that the use of CA in treating the "loose tuning
pin syndrom", or the "wobbly bridge pin ailment" is not
exactly a matter of glueing ... per se. Course you knew
that, but then I wonder so what if it "breaks down". In fact
in the case of tuning pins it better break down pretty darn
fast or the pins wouldnt move.

My understanding of CA's use in these two jobs is that in
liquid form it seeps really nicely into pretty tight spots
and hardens... and it stays there as well. In the case of
the tuning pins just the extra material itself should do
some good me thinks. And in the case of the bridge pin there
is nothing to exert any shear force on the CA itself so it
should just pretty much stay there until it turns into
powder presumeably... and even then that should still be
tighter then without it at all. If I am in error here I'd
like to hear about it from any and all.

Otherwise I like to opt for new wood as much as I can. Still
there is something about the use of CA in Bridge pins that
seems to make a lot of sense, even in the case of a brand
new bridge. Ideally I would think something that was just
soft enough to give a little at season changes so that the
wood around the pin doesnt get damaged, yet hard enough to
hold the pin tight otherwise would be a good thing.... a
kind of bushing as it were.

RicB