grand damper heads

Carl Meyer cmpiano@attbi.com
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 14:57:20 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 2:37 PM
Subject: Re: grand damper heads

> Carl Meyer wrote:
> >
> > List!  I made a boo boo!
> >

> Shame on you Carl :)

I'm glad you're immune. (G)

> > It's worked fine except yesterday I forgot and left it overnight.  The felt sure soaked off, but some of the finish in now coming off.
>
> Woah.... what did you use to soak off the felt ??

Warm water-no booze!!

> > My question:  Since I will have to strip the tops of these heads and refinish, could I just spray the whole head (sides and all) black?  Would that look tacky?  It would be difficult to mask the sides or at least take extra work.
>
> Black high gloss on the sides of grand dampers as well as
> the tops is certainly unusual... perhaps because the sides
> are not seen enough to warrant the work in the first place
> ??? So a nice job might look odd if you first noticed and
> thought about it but otherwise shouldnt be a problem. But
> why not just block them all tight together and just do the
> tops ??

It was the appearance I was concerned with.  Blocking them together wont work since the black lacquer will get between them thru capillary action.  I think it would be easier to spray the whole thing, but David Loves suggestion has merit.  I think I would  lay a strip of double back tape to hold them in place while spraying.  I could space them very evenly using a thin shim while placing them on the tape.  Thanks.

Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG
Santa Clara, California
cmpiano@attbi.com