DC Study - was Another heater bar without a control...

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 18:19:46 -0400

Comments interspersed below:

Terry Farrell
 =20
----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Isaac OLEG" <oleg-i@wanadoo.fr>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 8:06 AM
Subject: RE: DC Study - was Another heater bar without a control...

> I believe that any DC system installed may be well dimensioned in
> regard of the conditions of the room, the piano type, etc.
>=20
> I have a very precise electronic R.H. tester (0.1 %precision with
> external gauge) and I remember that I checked a simple 30W element in
> a little Yamaha 108 vertical, that I installed in a very moist place
> under the house.

I'm having trouble picturing this. Was the DC bar, or the piano =
installed under the house? I know I've gotta be missing something here.
=20
> I came back 1 month later and checked inside the piano and in the
> room. The heater was permanent for this test, and , probably because
> no air flow in the piano and not enough power, the R.H level was AT
> THIS TIME higher in the piano than in the room (63% in the piano while
> 58% in the room if I remember correctly).
> I was very surprised, but I believe it was only because the room had
> been opened, or it was in a more dry time, and the piano did not have
> enough time yet to stabilize to the dryer climate. But it was evident
> then than the heater element was not strong enough for this case.
>=20
> Of course that does not mean the system, if correctly dimensioned,
> would not work, but if the humidity is too high, having not enough
> heat in the dehumidifiers will may be create more hot warm air than
> dry one.

Hmmmmm.

> I believe too that there may be a relation with the flow of air, if
> the same air is recycled always in a somewhat close environment, I
> can't see how the moisture can go out. It have to swell thru the
> parts, the felts, the case, so may not it be necessary to have some
> apertures to allow for air circulation ? (not sure at this one)

If the piano had equilibrated with the room humidity, no. If, by chance, =
the piano was very moist (left out in the rain?), then yes, I would =
indeed benefit to have some air circulation. But under normal =
circumstances, no.
=20
> I installed recently a 3 bars system in a 68% place under a little
> grand, and indeed 1 hour after plug in, there was a nice 43% place
> just under the soundboard
>=20
> A chart with information on how much temp/R.H may relate with how much
> power (in Watt) could be very helpful for choosing components.
>=20
> Any thoughts ?

You bet! Plug an old-type mechanical clock into the humidistat along =
with the heater bars. Observe the clock over time to see how long the =
system has been running. With the room near the maximum humidity range, =
make sure the DC system shuts off once in a while. That way you know you =
have just enough power to maintain RH at whatever the shut-off point of =
the humidistat is.
=20