CA glue

Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre baldwin@mta-01.sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 17:48:40 -0600

Hi Annie,
                  Work a knife blade under the key top and start slicing,
be careful not to pull too many splinters off as you go.  Just take your
time, and they usually come off in one piece.  Some times you will have to
work from the front of the key depending if the grain of the key is at an
angle.  You can usually tell by looking at the grain at the side of the
key.  If the grain is running down hill towards the front of the key, then
start from the front of the key.  The reverse is also true.
Acetone or water will usually remove any glue residue. Depending on the
type of glue used.
Regards roger

At 06:24 PM 7/30/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks for the welcome, Joe.  I've had good luck with CA on tuning pins -
>and it's always been my understanding that the glue serves primarily to add
>mass to the pins -- but I haven't been at this long enough to be able to
>speak to the long-term usefulness.  And it might not be generally helpful,
>but at least some CA glue (e.g., HotStuff) gets brittle when frozen and can
>be easily broken.  (Hard to get that pinblock in the Frigidaire, I
>realize....)
>
>BUT, does anybody know the answer to my ivorine key top question?  I need to
>remove the tops and don't have the right machines for cutting/sanding at
>that level, so solvents are my next best solution (I think).  If there's a
>third alternative, please tell me about it.  I have frozen sharp keys before
>in order to break off the tops for use elsewhere (it's hot here in Ioway,
>and I seem to be fixated on refrigeration -- sorry), but I don't think I
>want to try that with keytops.  Thanks, ever so much, even in advance.
>
>Annie
>
> > Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 14:55:47 -0600
> > From: "Joe And Penny Goss" <imatunr@srvinet.com>
> > Subject: Re: CA glue
> >
> > Welcome to the list Annie.
> > In using CA on tuning or bridge pins no real strength is needed

Roger