Voicing Technique

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 20:56:50 EDT

In a message dated 7/30/02 11:14:03 PM !!!First Boot!!!, tito@philbondi.com
writes:

> -Using a single needled tool, deep needle twice on either side of the strike
> point, around 10:00..
> -1 deep needle per side into the side of the hammer, as close to the strike
> point without seeing the needle.
>
> This gave favorable results..actually, darn good results.
>
> The reason I tried this is because I thought I had read something here
> regarding this technique..not as an alternative to sugar coating, but rather
> as a tool we should have in our arsenal of voicing techniques.
>
> It didn't 'feel' like I was doing any damage to the hammer..was I?
>
> This piano is played by a real honest-to-God player, and he wants my
> services on a regular basis(at least twice a year), so I will be keeping an
> eye out for longevity of what I did.
>
> Any comments?
>
> -Phil Bondi (Fl.)

Deep needling is a good way to reduce the sizzle. You probably could have
gotten similar results with driving the needle directly into the crown.

Good luck in the future.

Wim

BTW, If he is really that good, that even God watches, I would think he wants
his piano tuned more than just twice a year. If you send out reminder card,
send one out in three months, and see what happens.