CA gluing Grand pinblocks & Uprights My take on it

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 22:38:15 -0400

In a message dated Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:09:29 AM Eastern Standard Time, A440A@AOL.COM writes:

> > Joe wrote:
> >> On a final note, I personally do not like CA glue for anything other
> >> than temporary repair, because I know that it will fail, eventually.
> Newton asks:
>
> >Upon what data or experience do you base that statement?
>
>  I used a bottle of CA on several projects several years ago.  A plastic
> clock on the wall, a wooden ruler, a pencil holder cup, etc.   About a year
> ago, the clock fell off the wall. A week later, the handle came off the cup,
> and about two or three weeks after that,  the ruler broke.
>  I don't think CA is all that long term, but what I have seen in blocks is
> great.  I also think that the increased torque in a pinblock comes from
> increasing the surface area between the pin and the wood
> more than "swelling"
> the wood.
> Regards,
> Ed Foote

Ed, you are correct, I have found CA glue will not work for joints that move a lot.  It is too brittle and perhaps there are other circumstances that affect it.  In certain circumstances it works perfectly, for example pinblocks or repairing stripped screw holes.  It seems to me that when it is absorbed by the wood  and you are not relying on it as a "glue joint," it works best.  I love it for repairing stripped Steinway rail screws (not split rails) and have effectively used it for many years with no failures.  There is a specific technique to make it work correctly though.

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW