grand damper heads

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 22:58:06 -0400

In a message dated Tue, 30 Jul 2002 23:37:03 +0200, Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:

> Carl Meyer wrote:
> >
> > List!  I made a boo boo!
> >

> Shame on you Carl :)
>

> > It's worked fine except yesterday I forgot and left it overnight.  The felt sure soaked off, but some of the finish in now coming off.
>
> Woah.... what did you use to soak off the felt ??
>

> > My question:  Since I will have to strip the tops of these heads and refinish, could I just spray the whole head (sides and all) black?  Would that look tacky?  It would be
> difficult to mask the sides or at least take extra work.
>
> Black high gloss on the sides of grand dampers as well as
> the tops is certainly unusual... perhaps because the sides
> are not seen enough to warrant the work in the first place
> ??? So a nice job might look odd if you first noticed and
> thought about it but otherwise shouldnt be a problem. But
> why not just block them all tight together and just do the
> tops ??
>
> Cheers !
>
> RicB

Hey Ric, good point but two things come to mind, first, if you do stack them together the paints surface tension will tend to span the small gap between the damper heads and leave a rough edge when you separate them that cannot be easily dealt with.
Second, the nice thing about damper heads is that the top of the heads grain is sealed and the sides are not, so if you do spray them with high gloss the sides will not produce the same high gloss surface as the tops.  Bottom line, as you said is don't worry about it.

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW