CA gluing Grand Pin blocks....My take on it/ Richard Brekne

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 08:03:50 -0700

One more little angle on the question of whether CA fails over time --
how was the curing done? Does the kicker cause a weaker or less
durable bond?

So far, using white glue to set up CA seems okay over time, but I
wonder if its durability is affected by the proportions used. When
the two glues mix, they clot and foam a little -- they get angry,
one could say. The resulting -- shlock? -- seems to have minor
gap-filling capacity, of unknown duration. If one uses only a drop
or so of CA with considerably more white glue, my feeling is that
most of the holding will get done by the white glue. Possibly the
-- anger? -- as the two glues meet might drive the white glue a little
further than usual into porous materials?

Lots of questions. For me, the book hasn't been written yet, and when
people say that CA doesn't set up or doesn't last, I feel like asking,
"how much did you use, what brand, how long has it been open, and
what is the ambient humidity, and did you use kicker? How well did
the surfaces mate, and how much stress was the joint subjected to?"

That said, I've been gluing down ivory for years with plain CA, and I've
never seen any of them come back off yet.

Susan