CA gluing

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 12:07:03 -0600

Hi Susan,

I have had ivory "pop off" after glueing with just CA--but of course now I
use white glue/ca and that works extremely well--so far zero failure rate.

I am a proponet of CA glue for old uprights or grands of small size. So far
the only "failure" was that one upright piano became too tight and the pins
sheered off. That instrument had had pin tite on it and had failed after a
number of years so the CA glue was definitely a last ditch effort. You
mentioned if a little is good less is even better. My approach has been the
opposite, and it works well.

I have measure torque on instruments after treatment and it is so far
always improved, as has tuning stability.

For bridges it seems sealing the wood with ultra thin CA, followed by thick
to fill any cracks works very well. The first instrument I did with this
method is still just fine and the tone was improved.

I do suggest to the client that a full DC system be added to any CA
repaired instruments.

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca

http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/