CA gluing

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:51:43 -0700

At 12:07 PM 7/31/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>I am a proponet of CA glue for old uprights or grands of small size. So far
>the only "failure" was that one upright piano became too tight and the pins
>sheered off. That instrument had had pin tite on it and had failed after a
>number of years so the CA glue was definitely a last ditch effort. You
>mentioned if a little is good less is even better. My approach has been the
>opposite, and it works well.

Except when the pins sheer off?

Pin Tite, by attracting moisture, sets up CA glue very fast. At least, it
seems to me that this is what is happening. I think that a little caution
as to amount of CA in previously treated pinblocks might be in order.

I once turned an old German upright on its back, and I worked with CA on some
very very loose tuning pins. The worst one I took off the coil, and turned
the pin all the way out. Then I swabbed the hole with CA, dribbled some
more on the pin, and turned it (gently) back in. It ended up jumpy.

The others, (maybe 5 or so) I took off the coil, turned the pin about 1/3
of the way out, dribbled CA over the exposed threads, and turned them
back in. These worked fine, and weren't jumpy.

Those only moderately loose in feel, but which weren't losing pitch, I
left alone.

Hey -- it works for me ... and think of the CA I didn't have to buy
or breathe.

Susan