Gluing Ivory with CA Glue

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 00:53:32 +0200

The wafers I've seen where often too thick, as contact glue, for nice
ivory work.

Ivory glue is hide glue whitened with titanium, the clamps can be
heated and push the front on the tail so the joint , when well
prepared is discrete, not to speak that the glue is reversible with
heat.

Bleaching is efficient and can be accelerated with exposure under UV
tube (or good sun). No reason to unglue the ivory for that IMHO.

24 hr and more under the tube(s), add peroxygen from time to time, I
was told to add some calcium bicarbonate as an agent (as for
staining), or alkali, did not see any difference when used.

Not sure of what causes the yellowing of the ivory, decomposition,
dirt, mold, oxidation, or whatever ?

Buffing is easily done for all keys together on their frame or on a
special stack, assuming the surface is clean, if not, better sand a
little to obtain really shiny keys.

I've seen buffing done with 15 cm cotton discs mounted on an arbor in
an electric drill (hand held). Works enough well and it is fast if you
are not looking for a "as new" result, cheap tool too. It works very
well for ivorite or plastic keytops too of course, the good selection
of buffing paste is all important (and be careful of the heat
developed)

Hope it helps

Isaac OLEG