Retirement of a fork

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Sat, 1 Jun 2002 14:48:56 -0400 (EDT)

--- Barrie Heaton <piano@a440.co.uk> wrote:
> Yes some music teachers folks are way out. However,
> I never  had a bad folk from J Walker I use to
change   mine each year teeth marks in the end

   We once had a class on this. Two new forks,
J. Walker, in unopened packages. We let them sit, then
measured. They were close, different from each other
at the same temperature, so it was not the enviroment
alone , not perfect.
It has been a while so I don't recall the exact
numbers, but they were within a cent.

In  my original post the new fork .8 cent off was
a new J. Walker. What scared me into using electronic
one is discovering mine was 2.5 cents off before my
exam, for how long it was like this I do not know.

>From my original post below.

I propose that we can maintain a more consistent
standard with greater ease, and therefore a higher
standard with a cheap electronic A then with a fork.

 I recall getting paranoid about my fork before
my exam. Checking at the acutuner display I
was appalled to learn it was 2.5 cents flat.
Promptly purchased a new one, finding it .8 cents off.
Reporting to the supplier's table they offered their
best big $50 heavy fork. To acutuner I ran
discovering it was 4.5 cents flat.

  So I learned to adjust forks and calibrated my
collection. Learned to be aware of fork temperature
and resulting pitch variation. For years they served
me well. From time to time I would drop one, or they
would rust out. For whatever reason every time I would
 check them against a machine they had changed
somewhat, requiring tweaking of pitch.

These last 3 years I use an cheap Sieko device that
can buzz pitches. $5 garage sale item. Checked it's A
with acutuner and tunelab on various occasions and it
stops the lights.

  It does not wear out the old teeth, does not
fluctuate in pitch with temperature, does not require
3 hands, has not required tweaking of pitch
calibration, and is not expensive.

                      Dave Renaud
                      RPT