June Journal and FW's

Richard Brekne richard.brekne@grieg.uib.no
Sun, 02 Jun 2002 10:48:13 +0200

 Bill Ballard wrote:

>At 9:34 PM +0200 6/1/02, Richard Brekne wrote:
>>>The wippen assist spring allows you to, in
>>>effect, change the SBR from note to note by altering the wippen strike
>>>weight.
>>>

>>????  dont follow you here Dave... The only way the ratio can really
>>be changed
>>is by changing the length of one or more of the levers. .... or what ?
>
>It's really a neat phenomenon. When you transfer the load balancing
>from the FWs to the WAS (and remove the now "unemployed" leads), SBR
>will seem to change, because all of a sudden the same SW can be
>counter-balanced with less FW. It's an illusion of course.

Ok.. I see that if you simply leave the numbers in the formula alone,,, and
just change FW to a lower value then you are going to change something
else...... but to simply change the ratio ... ??.. actually  there is a real
change in the "weight" component of Whippen Radius.... which as I said last
would affect the WBW as a whole and could easily turn this into a negative
number. But doing so wont change the Ratio...

And besides... the Ratio isnt really changed anyways.

Why do you say then that this is a neat,  (and illusionary) phenomenon ? I
mean.. of course SW can be counter balanced with less FW... because you have
substituted for FW... not changed R.

Scratching my head her a bit.

>More to the point it's a similar effect as increasing the stiffness
>of the board by adding ribs. Instead of getting the extra stiffness
>by thickening the panel, you get the same increase of stiffness,
>without all the extra mass. Sort of like, if you wanted a NY Steinway
>hammer to sound our favorite premium brick hot pressed hammer, how
>much extra mass would you have to add. Well, if that mass was in the
>form of reinforcers like lacquer resins or plastic, not much.

Hmmm.... I dont know about this analogy...grin... sounds more like confusing
Water Buffaloes with Argentian Whitzie Flies to me. :)

>I think its kind of neat.

Well... gee Bill... grin... I'll agree its neat anyways.. :)

>Bill Ballard RPT
>NH Chapter, P.T.G.
>
>Visit Bhod Ankur, the underwater monument to yesterday's civilisation.

Richard Brekne
RPT NPTF
Griegakadamiet UiB