Soundboard Evaluation

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 02 Jun 2002 08:40:19 -0500

At 07:52 AM 06/02/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>I quackulate just about 1.5 mm. I guess this would all work out. If the
>board had 1.5 mm of crown in the middle (or perhaps a bit more assuming they
>dried the board down a bit prior to ribbing - so maybe 2 or even 3 mm or
>so), then perhaps it had 1 or 1.5 mm of crown after stringing and had the
>positive bearing indicated below, and now it has sagged down a bit. I
>realize we cannot say with any certainty what exactly has happened, but this
>would seem logical???

Logical, but maybe a tad optimistic. Deflection under string load would
depend on panel compression and rib cross section and material too, naturally.

>Is that what Baldwin used - 72-foot radius ribs over the whole soundboard?

Yes, still do as far as I know, though I'm not sure just when they adopted
it. I think they've used 72' for a very long time.

>Did they dry the board down pretty far to get a fair bit of compression crown?

Yes, and still do.

Ron N