Chemical resistant gloves

Bigeartb@AOL.COM Bigeartb@AOL.COM
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 21:53:25 EDT

Claudia,
   (1)
  You should use "acid resistant gloves" which you probably can buy from
maybe Lowe's or your local building supply house. These gloves are thick
rubber like gloves that extend to your elbows. They make handling the pieces
a little difficult but protect your hands from the burning of the stripper.
You may need to use a thinner pair of just regular stripping or rubber gloves
inside these large thick acid gloves.
(2)
     What kind of gloves do you use for the acetone and steel wool?  Why not
get a pair of regular stripping gloves for these 2nd step since the chemical
is not as hot.
Forget the steel wool.....not necessary and use lacquer thinner to just wash
off the stripped product to remove any unclean spots and to remove the wax
from the stripper. Steel wool will leave tiny "hairs" of steel in your wood.
Not necessary.
(3)
     I have used many strippers and chemicals over the years. I suggest you
contact the following people who not only have good chemical but also a
technical staff that  can answer your questions and will probably have all
the material you need to learn this trade. I use:  Minuteman A501+ Stripper
(4) Call this toll free number in Waterloo, Wi. 1-800-733-1776 and ask for
their catelogue; they also have the acid gloves; and ask for their
assistance.

ABOVE ALL WEAR  SAFETY GLASSES .....The right or wrong chemical can make your
job easy or impossible and miserable. I once used some stripper so hot I ran
from my shop and jumped into my swimming pool clothes and all and then I
still was burning. I am glad it was summer but it wouldn't have really
mattered.

And finally, I would ask , "are you sure you really want to get into a messy,
hard , hot job like stripping ,of all things ,pianos?" Please let me know if
I can help.... Been doing it too long.

Tommy Black
Decatur, Ala.