Piano Refinishing

Brian Trout grandrestorations@yahoo.com
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 07:57:47 -0700 (PDT)

To those interested...

I think it's time we saw a series of articles in
the Journal about piano refinishing.  It seems to
be one of those subjects that is pushed under the
rug when it comes time for the printed material.

We tend to divide up our field into segments such
as:

1) Tuning
     a) in home
     b) concert
2) Rebuilding
     a) refurbishing
     b) rebuilding
     c) remanufacturing
3) Refinishing
     a) parts as needed
     b) complete

There are a pretty significant number of
technicians out there who are actively involved
in the refinishing process (at least 4 of the 7
listings I placed above would be responsible for
doing some finishing work) and I don't know that
it's right that such a significant portion of the
work done by this trade is left totally
unaddressed.

No offense is intended to those who tune, but to
those of us who do not, more articles on
temperaments are not high on our priority list of
reading material.  I savor those articles on
rebuilding, sometimes seeming few and far
between.  But I can't remember any serious
article on refinishing, ever.

It's a part of our trade.  It would sure be nice
to see it receive some attention.

'Nuff said by me.  I'll crawl back under my rock
now.

Have a good day, all.

Brian T.

=====