Piano Refinishing

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Mon, 03 Jun 2002 12:43:12 -0400

Brian,
	I agree! We seem to see a small
amount from time to time on this list but
hardly ever, if ever at all, in the
Journal. It is a big topic and perhaps no
one in ready to take it on because of the
sometime controversy in how things are
done either in methodology or in materials
used. I know that I for one would
certainly benefit from such a series of
articles.

Greg

6/3/2002 10:57:47 AM, Brian Trout
<grandrestorations@yahoo.com> wrote:

>To those interested...
>
>I think it's time we saw a series of
articles in
>the Journal about piano refinishing.  It
seems to
>be one of those subjects that is pushed
under the
>rug when it comes time for the printed
material.

>We tend to divide up our field into
segments such
>as:
>
>1) Tuning
>     a) in home
>     b) concert
>2) Rebuilding
>     a) refurbishing
>     b) rebuilding
>     c) remanufacturing
>3) Refinishing
>     a) parts as needed
>     b) complete
>
>There are a pretty significant number of
>technicians out there who are actively
involved
>in the refinishing process (at least 4 of
the 7
>listings I placed above would be
responsible for
>doing some finishing work) and I don't
know that
>it's right that such a significant
portion of the
>work done by this trade is left totally
>unaddressed.
>
>No offense is intended to those who tune,
but to
>those of us who do not, more articles on
>temperaments are not high on our priority
list of
>reading material.  I savor those articles
on
>rebuilding, sometimes seeming few and far
>between.  But I can't remember any
serious
>article on refinishing, ever.
>
>It's a part of our trade.  It would sure
be nice
>to see it receive some attention.
>
>'Nuff said by me.  I'll crawl back under
my rock