Leading Vertical Dampers

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 19:02:25 -0400

Pray tell, what is "Dels advice" regarding "how heavy the damper heads should be". Sounds interesting. Tell me more. Thanks.

Terrr Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <richard.brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: "PTG" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2002 3:47 PM
Subject: Leading Vertical Dampers

Hi folks

I have decided to give this idea a try and see how it goes, and thought I might
both seek advice as to just how much lead to add to the dampers and at the same
time give a sort of before and after story of the action for everyones
edification.

This action is from an approximately 70 year old  Rønish full sized upright.
Damper felt is origional, dirty but not crusty......should actually do the job
well enough but doesnt. Springs are on the weak side for sure, and I think I
will have to change centers on the lot... but I will know that tommorrow. In
anycase the whole piano sings through the damper system quite a bit and for a
good long time. Seems pretty evenly distributed through the whole system but
the bass is a bit more active then the rest predictably enough. Still a
noticeable drop in the problem when any section of the damped strings is muted
by hand.

Anyways I thought about giving Dels advice a whirl on this one and am asking
for input as to how heavy the damper heads should be.

RicB

Richard Brekne
RPT NPTF
Griegakadamiet UiB