Writing on Pianos, was: SAT and K&C

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 21:49:17 -0500

At 9:08 AM -0400 5/29/02, Farrell wrote:
>  I think writing on the piano is a leap toward its demise, IMHO.
>Writing on a hammer or keystick in an inconspicuous spot maybe OK.
>On the case or anywhere else I can think of, no way.

I strongly support this opinion. I've seen pianos with 20 years of
tunings writ large on the key levers, others with scrawls anywhere
possible around the tuning pins. Disgusting and unnecessary. Also
unnecessary is numbering the keys with a Sharpie and 24 point
numerals slanting everywhich way right in front of the buttons. The
funny thing is that one piano I worked on years ago had the last
repair guys name written big on the top and bottem key as well as
sloppy. permenant numbering and tuning dates and little details like
'replaced hammers and regulated'. This thing was practically
unplayable, hammers bored wrong, hung wrong, key bushings bad etc.
etc. etc. and this fellow had immortalized himself alongside the
quality of his work. Go figure........
--
----Dave

Dave Doremus RPT