Rib Tapering

Mon, 3 Jun 2002 21:12:59 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: June 03, 2002 3:19 PM
Subject: Rib Tapering

> One of these 4 AM brain torture processes.
>
> Soundboard ribs generally are of more-or-less uniform dimensions for most
of their length (I think some have a slight consistent taper from center).
Towards the ends, they are sculpted out fairly abruptly - over just a couple
inches of their length. Why is this?

> Is it because of the loading in the center of the board (more-or-less),
along the bridge will tend to bend more so it is made stiffer in the center
and less at the ends - if that were the case, wouldn't a consistent taper
from center area to end be more appropriate? Or does the rib thin out fast
to make the entire outer edge of the soundboard more flexible - much like a
speaker where the cone is stiff and then it has a cloth or rubber surround
at the edge?

> Is there any text that delves into rib dimension theory?

None that I am aware of, but we can talk about it in Chicago if you'd like.

Del