Refinishing Outline

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Tue, 04 Jun 2002 08:36:54 -0400

A good place to start would be an overview.

Once we break the procedure down into it's components we can address them
individually more clearly
so that it will be easier for a compilation.

So lets get this outline tweaked:

  1. Disassemble
  2. Repair
  3. Remove Finish
  4. Prepare Surfaces
  5. Staining
  6. Sealing
  7. Topcoating
  8. Rubbing Out
  9. Detailing
10. Assemble
11. Touchup

Basic item descriptions: (with a few of my preferred procedures thrown in)

1. Disassembly
	Removing all hardware and felt.
		I use plastic, gallon milk jugs which were cut off to 2-3" high and stack
them.
		Each section or part has its own container so as to pre-sort the screws.
2. Repair
	Reglue loose veneer, tenons and various case parts
		I like to do this first to avoid contaminates getting under the veneer.
		It also reduces the risk of chipping off the loose veneer.
3. Remove Finish
		My preferred method is to scrape. Liquid remover is used on highly
figured surfaces.
4. Prepare Surfaces
	This is a topic which could use a lot of discussion, especially on sanding
technique.
	Sand, putty or veneer inlay as required, wood filler.
		A mist coat of sealer sometimes facilitates the filling process (this
will be sanded off)
  5. Staining
	Various stain strengths or multiple applications required for blending on
wood finish surfaces.
		Wash surface with naptha to view color. Naptha is best because mineral
spirits dry too slow
		and alcohol too fast and would remove the stain. Don't forget to leave
the wiping rag outside
		immediately to reduce the fumes.
  6. Sealing
	Closing out the pores in the wood, sanding until surfaces are straight
  7. Topcoating
	Applying finish, scuffing with sandpaper as needed
  8. Rubbing Out
	This is a topic which could use a lot of discussion, especially on
sanding/buffing technique.
  9. Detailing
	Polishing brass, applying felt to lid braces, desk slide, etc...
10. Assemble
	The check's almost in your pocket.
		Screws are stacked in the milk jugs and are stacked in order of
disassembly for easier assemblage.
11. Touchup
	DOH !  Anything from shop blunders to field repairs.
		Unfortunately, I've gotten good at this.

So there it is, in a nutshell. Additions and embellishments expected...
Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@attbi.com