Piano Refinishing

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Tue, 04 Jun 2002 10:57:56 -0400

In a message dated Mon, 3 Jun 2002 11:47:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Wimblees@AOL.COM writes:

>In a message dated 6/3/02 11:18:38 AM Central Daylight Time, Kdivad@AOL.COM
>writes:
>

>> It's a part of our trade.  It would sure be nice
>> >to see it receive some attention.

>For some reason, I must have missed the beginning of this thread, but I must
>disagree with the above statement.
>
>Refinishing is NOT part of our trade. There are piano technicians who are
>able to refinish, but I don't consider refinishing to be part of piano
>technology. Refinishing is a totally different occupation. I learned how to
>refinish, and soon learned that I wasn't any good at it. I know what to do,
>and know what is required to be a professional refinsiher, but I don't
>consider myself a refinisher. And by the same token, there are refinishers
>who know absolutely nothing about piano technology, but can still refinish a
>piano.
>
>If a piano technician wants to know more about refinishing, then he/she
>should subscribe to a refinishing chat page and refinishing trade magazines.
>But I do not think articles refinishing should be included in the Journal.
>
>Just my 2.5 cents worth.
>
>Wim

Of course it is part of our trade, its part of a complete restoration.  Refinishing pianos has its own techniques, regular refinishing trade books and classes do not cover the processes required.  To do a proper refinish you must disassemble the piano to a degree, it must be refelted (nameboard, pedals, etc.) care has to be taken in masking.  The final finish is different than most furniture finishing.  I have seen many pianos that were refinished by furniture refinishers and every one leaves a lot to be desired, indicative of the special techniques required.  Many tuners and technicians contract out refinishing and need to have a good understanding of the process to affectively sell the work.

The quote at the top is Brians, not mine.

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW