piano refinishing

Bigeartb@AOL.COM Bigeartb@AOL.COM
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 22:15:36 EDT

To all my "list" of friends,
      It don't take no rocket scientist to determine that refinishing and
rebuilding ain't got nothing in common. Refinishing and tuning ain't got
nothing in common either. Tuning and rebuilding has nothing in common. BUT
for me, I decided to learn it all to the best of my ability. I consider my
self a triple threat....a tuner...a rebuilder...and refinisher. The bottom
line is money.  I have made good money doing all three. When one is slow the
other is busy and visa versa. Sometimes it all is busy at once. And then I
think I need a vacation. I am thankful I have the ability to do all three
facets of this business for they all three have provided well. I apply my
craft of "piano refinishing" to all other furniture problems from antiques to
new and folks pay good money for my knowledge and skill. You see, piano
finishing takes a lot more knowledge and skill than the run of  the mill
shade tree "finisher." I purchase older model pianos and because of my
knowledge of lacquer finishes, an old piano becomes a beautiful showcase with
ease. Guess what ? People also pay real good money for beautiful pianos.
     No, refinishing does not belong on the same page as tuning or technical
work. But refinishing or just  knowing how to remove dents, nicks, or
scratches help produce income and keep customers happy. So from a real dummy,
I believe the lady should help those  folks who want  to learn to make more
money. She should cover the subject. I have already posted my receipe for
black pianos several weeks ago. I would be happy to share a little of what I
know if  ya'll are interested. Otherwise I'll just keep.....making money.

Tommy Black
Decatur, Ala.