It really needs it

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 05 Jun 2002 07:04:24 -0400

Friends,

This current conversation brings to mind something I've often wondered
about.  Sometimes when I arrive to give a piano its annual tuning the client
will say, "It really needs it!"  Then I find that none of the unisons or
intervals sound bad at all.  There are no real tone or regulation problems,
either.  So how can this client, who is far from professional, think the
piano "really needs it" when it is quite close?

I have several theories.  (1)  It sounded really bad six months ago when the
humidity level threw it out of whack, and the client doesn't know that a
piano can actually sound better as the humidity level approaches the level at
which it was last tuned.  (2)  They are trying to justify in their own minds
shelling out those bucks for the annual tuning.  (3)  They want to keep me on
my toes.

Has anyone else run into this?  Any other theories?

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA