Mathuschek/Paul Chick's question

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 09:33:50 -0700

Paul,
This is a typical anomoly. The Damper wires just sit there, slightly above
the "key-end" felt, if they are in proper regulation. However, as time and
compression are against us, the felt punchings have compressed to the point
that the damper wire is now lower than the key-end, (damper lift),
felt/leather. It is usually not noticable when we play the Square Grand,
because the wire has made a "dimple" in the lift felt/leather, when the
action is in the proper position.
When you extract the action, the wire rides up and out of the dimple as you
pull the action out. When you put the action back in, the wire hangs up on
the outer edge of the "damper lift felt/leather and won't go all the way to
center/dimple, until you play the key at least once.
As a standard practice, I always play Duples on each key, of the dampered
section, before doing anything else. It becomes a habit, (albeit, a pain in
the rump).
Hope this explains the anomoly.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)