Tech Info on Old Uprights

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 17:05:44 EDT

gholley@hi-techhousing.com writes:

> List, I'm interested in receiving some recommendations on information
> sources on upright pianos, instructional such as "Piano Servicing
> Tuning & Rebuilding", by Arthur A. Reblitz.  I do have this book, and
> "The Piano Book" by Larry Fine, and "The Technical Examination - A
> Source Book" - The PTG Exams.   The amount of detail that I'm looking
> for, and wish to familarize myself with, is not covered in these
> books.  Information on actions in Packard, Ivers & Pond, AB Chase,
> Vose, Hardman, Heintzman, Bell and Chickerings.

Gordon

Piano manufacturers have repair and regulation books. Unfortunately, the
piano models you mentioned have not been made for a long time. So finding the
specific tech books on each one of those instruments is going to be very
difficult.

However, in general, although there might be some very detailed differences
between the actions of the pianos you mentioned, they all basically work the
same. For me, part of the "fun" of working on pianos is trying to figure out
how to make adjustments and repairs on pianos with which I am not familiar.
By using the basic understanding of how the piano works, I am usually able to
figure out what the problem is, and fix it.

So use what you know, and apply it to the particular piano on which you are
working. If you have a specific problem, get on the list, and get the answer.

Wim