Water-Base Lacquer

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Thu, 06 Jun 2002 09:03:01 -0400

Ever so cool!!! These are good tips! I was told once upon a time to add the
stain or dye to the filler (water based paste) and I'm not greatly pleased
with how it comes out. A mist coat of sealer might help it not get too
blotchy. The sealer I used also seemed to come out of the pores when I
lightly sand. It there something I can do to prevent all that reapplying?
Very glad to hear of your upcoming articles!!!

Greg Newell

At 07:29 AM 6/6/2002, you wrote:
>At 12:19 AM 6/6/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>>Hi,
>>Do you guys use burlap cloth to rub in the grain filler ?,it works great.
>>Best,
>>Hazen Bannister
>
>A water based filler is easier to use; just trowel it on, let it dry for a
>few hours and sand.
>
>A mist coat of sealer on the wood prior to filling will reduce drag and it
>will apply quicker.
>The sealer is then sanded off as the filler is sanded.  If you are real
>bold, stain first but
>be careful to stop sanding at the sealer to prevent sanding off the stain
>in areas.
>
>After removing the finish, sand everything with 100. Fill. Sand with 180
>To fill finer pores, thin the filler and reapply. Sand with 320.
>
>This and others procedures will be covered in a series of articles by
>David Koelzer and myself.
>
>Now, where's that ambition... it's around here somewhere...
>Regards,
>
>Jon Page,   piano technician
>Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
>mailto:jonpage@attbi.com