Water-Base Lacquer

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 11:19:19 EDT

In a message dated 6/6/2002 6:28:26 AM Pacific Standard Time,
gnewell@ameritech.net writes:

> Subj:Re: Water-Base Lacquer
> Date:6/6/2002 6:28:26 AM Pacific Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net">gnewell@ameritech.net</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>
>         Gregg

       As you've discovered as well as I mixing stain in grain filler and
appling directly to the wood is the fastest way I lnow to get a muddy finish
that I know of. I've been reading all these post and gathering info. in an
attempt to invision swithing from solvent base to water base. My biggest
concern is clarity of the finish (wood of course)
   Our typical wood finish I'm striving for as much clarity as possible.
  A couple of steps in my current process that allows this I hope are
duplicatable with water base.
  1.  Strip sand patch
   2. Yes I use primarily a water dye because water dyes are extremely color
fast. I personally don't find the small amount of grain raising is an issue
in my procedure. I stain on the bare wood as does everyone. Let dry.  I then
spray on two thin coats of gloss lacquer to seal in the stain. This fills the
pores as well.
  3.I then apply the darkest grain filler I can get or make with burlap.
Sometimes applying twice if the grain is deep. I want to wipe off any undue
residue.
4. the grain filler dries overnight for hardness then lightly sand off any
haze being careful not to sand through to the color.
5. Once this is accomplished building up of sealer till it can be block
sanded flat. My goal is to leave no more sealer than needed and still have a
very flat and filled surface.
6 Apply 2 to 4 top coats gloss lacquer. Let cure and sand flat with 600
paper. Then rub with steel wool and other stuff to get the desired sheen.
  This has always produced a very clear finish for our clients and I'm hoping
that a similar procedure is applicable to the water base products.Does any
body have a similar process with water base and if so would the clarity of
the finished process be described as translucent. My goal is to be able to
loof right through the lacquer coats and see the wood grain in all its
vibrany