rep springs

J Patrick Draine draine@attbi.com
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 15:34:56 -0400

On Thursday, June 6, 2002, at 10:50 AM, Wimblees@aol.com wrote:

> I have been taught (and it says so in the regulation manuals), that the
> rep springs should be adjusted so that there is a "gentle rise," when
> you let up on the key. This winter I regulated all of the main pianos
> in the school, including the piano faculty pianos, with the rep spring
> set to give me that "gentle rise." Now, all of a sudden, piano players
> are complaining about poor repetition, and when I check out the pianos,
> there is almost no rise at all.
>
> Once upon a time I heard that the springs will change with the change
> in weather. But what is happening? How come all of my rep springs are
> flat? Inquiring minds want to know.
>
> Wim

Sounds like you decreased the tension during the winter (lower humidity,
lower friction), the pianos had a few months of playing to weaken them
further, and now the humidity is through the roof, causing greater
friction on all centers and contact points.
Another learning experience, Wim!

Patrick Draine

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available