Water-Base Lacquer

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 17:46:07 EDT

In a message dated 06/06/02 5:04:37 PM, gnewell@ameritech.net writes:

<< Now, how about the difference between a
sanding sealer and something else like  ... say ... shellac. I have been
told that a coat of shellac will even out how wood takes stain. Do you find
this to be the case?>>
well while this is correct....... it is not adressing a mist coat for wood
filling purposes. The mist caot applies only when we are speaking of bare,
perhaps stained wood. I don't like spraying shellac and I don't think that
one can brush a mist coat of the stuff................perhaps someone with
more shellac knowledge can answer this...

<<Also, do water based filler take stain as well as other
filler types?>>
you gots to experiment with your filler.... I have found the same filler from
the same manufacturer takes stains differently according to the lot No. ! :-(
Keep in mind that the main 'filler' ingerdient in most fillers is silica
which doesn't 'take' stain at all..................the binder is actually
what we are staining...........
Someone correct me if I am wrong here.
Jim Bryant (FL)