rep springs

Brian Trout grandrestorations@yahoo.com
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 15:11:23 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Wim,

That "gentle rise" to which you speak is one
that's hard to put into any kind of context in
the printed word.

Something that helped me to get an idea of how
tight to 'wind' them (besides working beside
another technician) was a video that Steinway put
out.  It was mostly just a promotional thing that
showed just a few items happening in their
factory.  But one of the things it did show was a
2 second clip of someone in their C&A Dept. that
was going through the regulation of the
repetition springs.  It was more than just a
gentle rise.  Those little fellas jumped right on
up outta check.  They didn't bounce a whole lot,
that would be too much.  But they weren't slow
and not terribly gentle.

Honestly, I haven't found that having the
repetition springs set a little on the tight side
has really hurt the 'bobbling hammer syndrome'
nearly as much as mis-shaped tails or other
elements of the regulation being considerably
off.

FWIW... just my two cents.

(I know it was another thread, but I was truly
sorry to hear about the vandalism of the S&S 'D'.
 I can only imagine the way your heart must have
sunk when you saw that.  Sounds like it's all
gonna work out for the good, though... if they
can bring some appropriate consequences to those
teenagers who obviously needed something to do,
it'll be even better.  If only they could be made
to actually fix what they messed up, perhaps they
might learn more than one lesson... hmmm...  but
that's another story.)

Take care,

Brian T.

=====