Belarus

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 18:19:42 -0400 (EDT)

  At any rate, the question was:  Does anyone on
> this list see doping a new instrument as an
> appropriate repair for a NEW piano that will not
> hold a tune?  Thanks

  My understanding is doping helps the wood retain
higher moisture content, swelling the wood. Over time
the wood literally rots, giving the pin that nice
mushy feeling, and the pinblock that beautifully aged
black
moldy look. I have seen more then a few nice uprights
that were doped 10-20 years ago, and now must have
a new pinblock, or be trashed, no other options.
A Heintzman I just refused to tune comes to mind. The
shame is, with oversize pins it would have been fine
today, for the pinblock has no cracks. But three
dopings over 25 years, its mush. I intend to go back
and try CA glue on this one.

  A new piano. In my opinion, doping it is destroying
it over its first decade or two.

                      Cheers
                      Dave Renaud
                      RPT