rep springs

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Thu, 06 Jun 2002 19:43:47 -0400

In a message dated Thu, 6 Jun 2002  6:38:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time, grandrestorations@yahoo.com writes:

> Hi Wim,
>
> That "gentle rise" to which you speak is one
> that's hard to put into any kind of context in
> the printed word.
>
> Something that helped me to get an idea of how
> tight to 'wind' them (besides working beside
> another technician) was a video that Steinway put
> out.  It was mostly just a promotional thing that
> showed just a few items happening in their
> factory.  But one of the things it did show was a
> 2 second clip of someone in their C&A Dept. that
> was going through the regulation of the
> repetition springs.  It was more than just a
> gentle rise.  Those little fellas jumped right on
> up outta check.  They didn't bounce a whole lot,
> that would be too much.  But they weren't slow
> and not terribly gentle.
>
> Honestly, I haven't found that having the
> repetition springs set a little on the tight side
> has really hurt the 'bobbling hammer syndrome'
> nearly as much as mis-shaped tails or other
> elements of the regulation being considerably
> off.
>
> FWIW... just my two cents.
>
> (I know it was another thread, but I was truly
> sorry to hear about the vandalism of the S&S 'D'.
> I can only imagine the way your heart must have
> sunk when you saw that.  Sounds like it's all
> gonna work out for the good, though... if they
> can bring some appropriate consequences to those
> teenagers who obviously needed something to do,
> it'll be even better.  If only they could be made
> to actually fix what they messed up, perhaps they
> might learn more than one lesson... hmmm...  but
> that's another story.)
>
> Take care,
>
> Brian T.
>

> =====
> Brian Trout
> Grand Restorations
> 3090 Gause Blvd., #202
> Slidell, LA  70461
> 985-649-2700
> GrandRestorations@yahoo.com

> http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

The best description I have found of how fast the hammer should rise came from this list and I believe it was Newton Hunt who suggested it, the hammer should rise at the same rate as your hand would rise to toss a tennis ball one to two inches in the air.  Works magically for me!!

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW