Cunningham?

VOCE88@AOL.COM VOCE88@AOL.COM
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 21:32:17 EDT

ssclabr8@flash.net writes:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I just got a call to come over and tune/inspect a Cunningham baby grand.
> I'm relatively new to the business and haven't run across this name before.
>  The owner got it from someone free of charge.  I asked her how it sounded
> and she said she wasn't sure because she was tone deaf (this should be a
> real fun visit!)
>
> She did say it looked very old and she knew that it hadn't been tuned in
> years.  Anybody heard of this make?  Anything I should watch out for?
>
> Thanks,
> Corte Swearingen

Ok seriously, the original Cunningham Piano Company made mostly player
pianos, uprights, and small grands. If the piano was made before WW I it may
be over 6 ft. long, but in all likelyhood be prepared for a 5' to 5'4" piano.
It was made before 1941 (That is when production ceased) so it may very well
need rebuilding, not tuning.

There is one other possibility. I am told that in the 1950s and 1960s
Cunningham had a variety of manufacturers make pianos of differing qualities
and sizes to market in the Philadelphia area. (We have never heard of THIS
before, have we?) If it is one of those pianos, I can say that I have seen
very good ones........and not very good ones.

I hope this helps.

Richard Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co & Factory
Philadelphia, Pa.