Tuning Complaint - Help!

James Baker JamesBakerRPT@carolina.rr.com
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 07:47:43 -0400

I also pitch raised a couple of Grand spinets 100 cents or more before I
heard about them being prone to plate breakage (sounds likely, but contrary
to my experience).  I still pitch raise them, I just warn the owner about
what I've heard.

James Baker

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike and Jane Spalding" <mjbkspal@execpc.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2002 8:34 PM
Subject: Re: Tuning Complaint - Help!

> Terry,
>
> Coincidentally, I tuned one just yesterday.  Family with 4 kids just
starting lessons, inherited the Grand Spinet from grandparents, hadn't been
tuned in decades.  100 to 200 cent pitch raise.  Overall, I was impressed
with how well it tuned (relative to Whitneys, Lesters, etc.)  - few false
beats, a "manageable" tenor break area, and nice feel to the pins.  If only
I hadn't broken so many strings in the high treble.  Frustrating because  I
was careful to lower every string before raising.  Frustrating because they
didn't all break on the first pass - the last two went while tuning unisons
on the 3rd pass.  I'll let you know in a year if it's still perfectly in
tune.

> Mike

Truely an experience! I assume not if you say Whitney is at the bottom of
the heap!   :-)

> > And this I can say after spending 6 hours today servicing a 1960s
Aeolian spinet in a Missionary Baptist church downtown! 9 strings,
regulation, pitch raise, tune. YIKES!  But the $$$ makes me  :-).

> > Terry Farrell

Kimball).