ethical behavior

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 11:16:25 EDT

In a message dated 6/7/2002 10:17:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> Hello Don. Do you tell each customer you tune for that you will be using
> equal temperament guidelines to tune their piano?

et al;
 I am not going to discuss the ethical/unethical question but did want to
respond to this 'narrow' question................
I don't believe that Don or anyone else who normally tries to lay in an ET,
which is the commonly accepted standard, should feel obligated to inform
their customer of such...........Just as a mechanic who performs a tune-up on
your automobile, using the accepted standard(s), should not be expected to
inform the owner of such............ That having been said,  if the tuner or
mechanic is going to perform work that is significantly, and deliberately,
outside of accepted standards I personally feel that disclosure is called
for.

 This whole thingee kinda begs the question:.........................'If' the
alternative is so much better than the standard why hide it?  Why not inform
the customer of what you have done, or plan to do so, that they will be
informed and know what to ask, or demand, for the next time........???

Now go ahead and misquote me and misconstrue my remarks........hit won't
change my mind.
Jim Bryant (FL)