Jumpy Tuning PIns

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 21:41:45 EDT

In a message dated 6/8/02 1:16:26 AM !!!First Boot!!!, Hullfam5@AOL.COM
writes:

> I am restringing an old upright, open face pinblock, with 4/0 pins and
> encountering jumping and creaking in the pins.  Torque is coming out to be
> anywhere from 100, 140 and 160.  Several of the holes may have been doped
> as they have a black half circle, top side of hole, about 3/8 inch deep.
> The jumping is so bad I don't think it will be very difficult to tune.
> I've tried reaming, naptha, sanding sealer and 3/0 pins with small to no
> improvement resulting.

Bob

Did you measure the pins that came out?  The 4/0 pins are obviously way to
tight. That is why they are jumping, and have a torque that is way too tight
with which to be able to tune. And you say even a 3/0 is not improving the
problem. That would indicate that perhaps even that size is too tight. Try
2/0 pins, and see what happens. If they are "normal," and your torque is in
the 60 - 80 range, then I would suspect the original pins were 1/0''s, and
the pin block is still in good condition. If there is a 2/0 pin that feels
too loose, you can always put in a 3/0.

Wim