"Grand" brand pianos

Fri, 7 Jun 2002 19:47:54 -0700

At a time when a Wurlitzer spinet was selling for $995 the Grand Spinet was
"on sale" for $495.

That pretty much says it all...

Del

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clyde Hollinger" <cedel@supernet.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: June 07, 2002 1:19 PM
Subject: "Grand" brand pianos

> Terry,
>
> Others have also complained about how terrible these pianos are, but that
has not been my experience.  Not good, to be sure, but not worse than other
namebrands that IMO share the bottom rung (Whitney
> spinets, Jesse French consoles, etc.).  I have fourteen in my tuning
files.

> Two days ago I bolted and epoxied a separated back in a "Grand" "console"
with a spinet-type action.  This morning I took off the clamps and tuned it
up.  It certainly matched other "very ordinary"
> pianos around here.  I wonder if the local dealer prepped 'em good or
something?

> Regards, Clyde
>
> Farrell wrote:
>
> > Just curious, have you ever tuned/serviced a "Grand" console/spinet?
Truely an experience! I assume not if you say Whitney is at the bottom of
the heap!   :-)

> > And this I can say after spending 6 hours today servicing a 1960s
Aeolian spinet in a Missionary Baptist church downtown! 9 strings,
regulation, pitch raise, tune. YIKES!  But the $$$ makes me  :-).

> > Terry Farrell

Kimball).