"Why You Should Save Fasteners"

Jeannie Grassi jgrassi@silverlink.net
Sat, 8 Jun 2002 00:38:44 -0700

Hi Bill,
This post reminded me that I have been meaning to ask you if you'd like
to contribute something to Tuner's Life for the Journal.  You can get an
idea of what sort of things will work and it is usually about 500-600
words.  Maybe even submit something from the past that you've written
for your chapter newsletter.  What say ye?

Jeannie

Jeannie Grassi, RPT
Associate Editor, Piano Technicians Journal
mailto:jgrassi@silverlink.net

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Bill Ballard
Sent: Friday, June 07, 2002 10:20 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: "Why You Should Save Fasteners"

"Why You Should Save Fasteners" (reprint from the N.H. Chapter
"Granite Action"}

My bottom-of-the-line rotary gas mower has nothing fancy for a height
setting of the wheels. You simply unbolt each wheel from the mowers
skirt and move it to a different hole. That's not as easy as it might
seem, after the bolts have been locked into place by three years
worth of wet lawn clippings and pureed toad. I was asking for four
such wheels to easily undo, ready to move, and two did. The other two
sheared off at the base of the thread.

These are no ordinary convenience store machine bolts. A hex head and
a 1/2" body which, at 2" long, served as the wheel's axle, before
necking down to a 3/8"x18 and passing through the hard plastic mower
skirt to a fastening nut on the other side. And after looking at
1-800 number on the large sheet owners manual, I fully expected that
replaced axle bolts cost $8.35 each, would have to be ordered on a
$25 Minimum Order policy, and take two weeks to get here.

Two more weeks of prairie grasslands in my back lawn? With the
attendant rodents? You can imagine how feverish was my beady little
mind. "Maybe a wooden sleeve for a 3/8" bolt, where it passes through
the wheel center hole, made from 1/2" dowel....hmmm..." The first
thing to get upended was a coffee can of large machine bolts, where I
found not one but two of the proper sized axle bolts.

It took me awhile to emerge from a stunned disbelief, but I finally
remembered where those two bolts came from. Twelve years ago I
changed compressor tanks. The old tank was shot full of rust, but I
saved the wheels and ended up mounting them on one rung of the 14"
ladder which lived in gap in the ceiling of my old shop's loft and
served as access to the upstairs storage. The wheels attached to the
sides of the ladder, ran from to back on in the ceiling's gap
allowing different access points to the loft. The axle bolts, I never
found a used for, and I tossed them into the can.

Yes, never throw any strange fasteners away. Keep the faith that
someday you'll be glad you didn't. Fate is on your side and will
vindicate you.