A different temperament / tuning approach

Richard Brekne richard.brekne@grieg.uib.no
Sat, 08 Jun 2002 10:11:03 +0200

 Jason Kanter wrote:

>I like what you are doing, concentrating (almost) exclusively on making
>the
>octave fifth exactly pure and having that determine stretch. A couple of
>thoughts though.
>
>1. They are not nineteenths. Nineteen semitones, yes, but it's a twelfth.

Hmm... thanks for the term correction. I've never been comfortable with these
terms outside the octave range... dont know where I got started useing
semitones to describe them, but its wrong. Thanks for making this clear.

>2. In the bass, other partials often sound louder -- for example, I often
>concentrate aurally on the fifth partial because it sings louder to me and
>therefore I presume to the listener. So I wonder whether you might switch
>to>the fourth or fifth partial when you descend into the wound strings.
>TuneLab Pro defaults to the 6th partial in the bass, but that seems arbitrary.

As long as one keeps the actual relationship of the Octave 5th the pure then it
wouldnt matter. But I find that changing which partial you measure has a more
of an effect on that then I had previously thought. For Calculated Curves it
perhaps isnt so significant, but if you are after keeping the 12th quite
beatless then it suddenly does.

But at some point in the bass the 3rd partial isnt always readable on smaller
instruments... Ghosting most often solves the problem.  Still if one has to
...then the 6th partial seems like a good one for this arrangement. Either a
6:3 octave type or a 6:1 fith type... both stretched a bit to bring the 3:1
clean.

Im going to have to stop stumbling on terminology and on the side comments in
describing this if I am to write out a detailed analysis of all this over the
summer thats for sure :) Tho thinking in <<partials>> easily lends itself to
getting crossed up :)

Thanks for the comments and the interest Jason.

>jason kanter * piano tuning * piano teaching
>bellevue, wa * 425 562 4127 * cell 425 831 1561
>orcas island * 360 376 2799

Richard Brekne
RPT NPTF
Griegakadamiet UiB